Wexford Stadt / Wexford City

Stierring / Bull Ring

(2019-10-04)

Anfang des 17. Jahrhunderts fanden in Wexford an dieser Stelle die ersten Stierhetzen statt, daher der Name "Stierring". Bis 1770 wurde dieses grausame Treiben zwei Mal jährlich veranstaltet, 1835 wurden Stierhetzen endgültig verboten.

Ansonsten war der Stierring ein beliebter Marktplatz und ist es bis heute geblieben. Die beiden Markthallen wurden in den 1870ern erbaut.

At the beginning of the 17th century the first bull baitings in Wexford took place on this square, therefore it is called the "Bull Ring". Until 1770 these cruel events were staged twice a year, in 1835 bull baiting was finally outlawed.

Otherwise the Bull Ring was a bustling market place and still is. The two market halls were built in the 1870ies.

 
Übersicht über Wexford Stadt / Overview of Wexford City