Ferns

Augustinerabtei zur Hl. Maria / St. Mary's Augustinian Abbey

(2019-10-05)

Auf einem Feld - und gut bewacht durch Rinder - stehen die Überreste einer Augustiner Abtei, die 1162 von Diarmuid MacMurrough gegründet wurde und der Hl. Maria geweiht war. Sehr ungewöhnlich ist der Glockenturm, dessen Basis viereckig ist, dann aber oben wie ein Rundturm gebaut wurde.

The oldest cathedral in Ferns was built by John St. John, Bishop of Ferns. It was burnt down by the O'Byrne clan at the end of the 16th century. In the following years only a part of the former cathedral was rebuilt. In the 1810s it was extended by a tower and a chapter house, 100 years later the interior was remodelled.

Zugeordnete Themen / Assigned Topics:
 
Übersicht über Ferns / Overview of Ferns