Edenderry

Rathaus / Town Hall

(2025-07-08)

Das heutige Stadtbild von Edenderry (Éadan Doire, Hügelkuppe des Eichenwaldes) geht auf Arthur Hill, 2. Marquis von Downshire (1753 - 1801) zurück, der den historischen Stadtkern anlegen ließ. Er bezahlte auch für die Anbindung von Edenderry an den Grand Canal, um der Stadt neue Transportwege zu ermöglichen.

Und wegen diesem Kanalendstück bleiben wir auf der Durchreise in Edenderry kurz stehen. Einen Parkplatz finden wir rasch neben dem Rathaus. Das Gebäude wurde 1826 von Arthur Hill, 3. Marquis von Downshire (1788 - 1845), als Markthaus in Auftrag gegeben und von Thomas Duff entworfen. Es wurde 1945 durch Feuer zerstört und wieder aufgebaut. Seit den 1990ern sind in ihm das Gericht und Büros der Offaly Landesverwaltung untergebracht.

Today's townscape of Edenderry (Éadan Doire, hill-brow of the oak wood) goes back to Arthur Hill, 2nd Marquess of Downshire (1753 - 1801), who built the layout of the historical core of the town. He also paid for a connection of Edenderry to the Grand Canal to open a new transport way for the town.

And because of this end section of the canal we make a short stop in Edenderry during our pass through. A parking place is quickly found beside the Townhall. The building was commissioned as Market House in 1826 by Arthur Hill, 3rd Marquess of Downshire (1788 - 1845), and designed by Thomas Duff. In 1945 it was destroyed by fire and consequently rebuilt. Since the 1990ies it serves as courthouse and civic offices of the Offaly County Council.

Details von Edenderry / Details of Edenderry
Zugeordnete Themen / Assigned Topics:
Lage / Location
 

Um die Landkarten benutzen zu können, wird ein Browser benötigt, der das Canvas Tag unterstützt.
To use the maps a browser supporting the Canvas tag is required.

Wiki Commons)