Downhill Haus / Downhill House

(1997-08-15)

In den 1770ern ließ sich der Bischof von Derry, Frederick Hervey, bei Downhill ein Sommerhaus bauen. In ihm sammelte Hervey die Kunstwerke, die er auf seinen Reisen durch Europa erwarb. Und je mehr er sammelte, umso mehr wurde das Haus ausgebaut. Nach Herveys Tod 1803, erbte sein Cousin Henry Bruce das Anwesen. Leider wurde das Gebäude - und auch ein Teil der Kunstsammlung - Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts durch ein Feuer weitgehend zerstört. Es wurde zwar wieder aufgebaut, aber in der ersten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts verkaufte die Familie Bruce das Haus und das Land. Das Haus verfiel, das Land ist heute in der Obhut des National Trust.

In the 1770ies the Bishop of Derry, Frederick Hervey, had built a summerhouse near Downhill. Within it he collected pieces of arts that he acquired on his travels trough Europe. The more he collected, the more the house had to be expanded. After the death of Hervey in 1803, his cousin Henry Bruce inherited the estate. Alas, it was almost completely destroyed by a fire in the middle of the 19th century - including a part of the art collection. Although it was reconstructed, the family Bruce sold the house and the land in the first half of the 20th century. The house fell to ruins, the land is now in the custody of the National Trust.

Downhill Haus im Detail / Expand on Downhill House
Zugeordnete Themen / Assigned Topics:
 

Um die Landkarten benutzen zu können, wird ein Browser benötigt, der das Canvas Tag unterstützt.
To use the maps a browser supporting the Canvas tag is required.

Wiki Commons)